FreeCAD can be extended with the following extensions:
- Showing grid (in draft workbench): use following key combinations: g-r1)
- translation + rotation → placement. See a wonderful article here: https://github.com/DeepSOIC/Lattice2/wiki/Introduction-to-Lattice-workbench
- Macro Align View to Face https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.php?title=Macro_Align_View_to_Face
FreeCAD 0.18.4 If there are multiple bodies in a project and you want in a sketch to 'Create an edge linked to an external geometry', you will notice that it is not possible to create this edge from another body.
FreeCAD offers a solution for this, called a ShapeBinder. A ShapeBinder is an object which is referencing to a face from another body.
To use it do the following. Select the Part Design toolbar:
- Create a body with a sketch with a rectangle with some holes in it. When finished, close the sketch and pad the body to 10mm.
- Create another body and optionally give it a sensible name.
- Create a new sketch in the body added in step 2 and notice that it is not possible to create an edge linked to the body from step 1.
- If not done, close the sketch tool and make sure the body from step 2 is selected (Body shows as bold text)
- Click on create a new ShapeBinder
- Click on Add Geometry and select the face of the Body from which you need one or more edges. When done click on OK
- Before selecting edges from the ShapeBinder object, make sure now to hide the body from step 1. This is very important!
- The ShapeBinder object should be visible now. If not done in step 3, create a sketch in the body in which the ShapeBinder object is.
- You now will be able to use the 'Create an edge linked to an external geometry' tool and click within the ShapeBinder object to select points.